I am a doctor in India !
1. I am likely to acquire tuberculosis (TB) . My chance of getting it is 10 to 12 times higher as compared to an average Indian citizen who is not working in healthcare !
2. I have risk of acquiring HIV Hepatitis C or Hepatitis B several times higher than a non medical person !
3. My average life expectancy is 10 years less than average Indian citizen! This is because of sheer stress I have to go through in just carrying on with my daily medical duties !
4. In Europe / America doctors are not allowed to work beyond 42 hours in a week ! I have worked at least 70 hours a week ( just at 12 hours daily ) for most of my life !
5. As an Indian doctor I sacrificed my youth working hard for the community! My marriage ,my family ,my relatives my friends always got second priority after my patients!
6. Forget vacations, I mostly could not afford weekends offs during first two decades of doctor life !
7. 50 percent of doctors less than 50 years in my hospital have had a heart attack !
Now do you think I need to be worried about being assaulted by some third rate goons just because someone unfortunately died under my care ?
If you don't care for my safety who will care for you when you need it the most!
All I am asking for is a safety net against violence ! If I am negligent please go ahead and prove it ! I shall take all the blame and be ready to be behind bars !
Americans doctors today talk to their patients in legal language! The bond of faith and trust is gone and everybody is ready to sue !
We are worse than Americans ! We already have a verdict against a doctor ready and even the punishment is ready !
Even an Army Jawan on battlefield may feel safer than me ! At least he knows his enemy !
Am I finally you friend , philosopher, guide ? Servant at least ?Never wanted the GOD status ever at all !
But surely I was never your enemy and will never be from my side !
Just introspect and decide !
An average Indian Doctor !